Wednesday, October 12, 2011

fall is here?.. updates a plenty!

Well it seems that the updates are piling up and so are needed to be posted. What was a nice long summer has passed with not too much action on the bike front. Baby number 2 arrived in April, and seemed to have slowed me down a little bit this year.
All was part of a master plan however, but me and plans don't always work out. The plan this year was to take it a bit easy during the summer, lots of miles in, and bump up the intensity for the fall season. All was seemingly going ok, at times full on, others half-hearted, but still somewhat solid.
The first 'cross race of the year would be a familiar event, but new venue. I drove down solo for the Magog cross race in hopes of a strong start to the year. I'd not been feeling the best, a bit unsure, and generally off. Figured best to shrug it off, its early, first race no big deal. A mediocre warm up after registration to check out the new course looked promising. Fast, small hill, some good technical, and rain throughout the week to make it a bit greasy in places. I scored a good start, and took the holeshot, however our start was 15sec after the Elites, so by the first corner we were backed up and into their chaos. A bunch of scrambling would leave me chasing in second position for a lap. By lap two, I was down to third until mid race, when some more riders caught up. Generally fading, I'd end up racing it out for a 7th place. First non-win in Quebec... A bit disappointing for sure, not how I wanted to start off the year.
The following few days were not much better, not a good recovery, and generally drained. The next weekend was to be a pair of races east of Montreal. I would decide last minute to stay home, good call as I got to catch up on sleep and rest...
A couple days after the weekend off was the first time in about a month I'd felt normal, and a doctor's appt. on the Wednesday would confirm suspicions of some sort of "wrench in the cogs" rest had been good, but the green light to move on was lit.
Season re-start underway!

No comments: