Thursday, October 15, 2009

cross nats - part 2 (jim horner gp)

Sunday morning I awoke to what looked like more flurries over night, and a bit colder temps too. I was happy to however see that the wind had calmed down to almost nothing, so at least there was some good news! A quick pack up and sort out of race gear, flight home clothes, and all my belongings before checking out of the hotel, then off to the races.
Conditions were near identical to Saturday, a couple of corners were shifted, but most remained the same, only icy-er. A quick warmup, and off to the start line. I had shed a few layers from the previous day, much less constricting, (and a higher forced effort if too cold). I also dropped tire pressure a fair amount in hopes of better traction.
A decent call up put me on the front row, and we had a couple less riders on the start line (20?). A good jump, saw Peter Mogg and I sprinting for lead on the first corner, I went in second, trying to stay upright. Peter however went down on the second turn, I cleanly got around him to assume the lead for a short bit. Peter recovered well and chased us down, I bobbled a couple of times, but did manage to stay in the top 3 for the first half of the race, holding off a strong chase group of three riders, about 10 second back of me. Very good feeling to be riding for a podium spot, however it wouldn't last. Mid race out on the "icy slopes" I fell victim to a spectacular crash, that was well photographed (still looking for the pics of that one). My front wheel slid out at the top of the hill, I went over the top, and began to slide down while frantically grasping for my bike. It would go missed, and stay stuck at the top while I finished at the bottom. The group of three pass me as I was running back uphill to retrieve my bike. Third to sixth.. just like that. A strong chase would keep me in position, with a few attempts at overtaking for fifth, but in the end unsuccessfully. The mountain bikers were in full force over the weekend, as the technically demanding course suited them quite well. I wasn't quite able to reel in enough time on the straits and was losing too much time on the icy corners.
Most definitely a good weekend, ultimately happy with the trip, a bit disappointed with results, but that's the nature of the game. Looking forward to trying again next year, as Nats head back eastward to Toronto.
Next week, Almonte, (Eastern Ontario series).

No comments: