Monday, October 19, 2009

eastern series - almonte

A nice weekend for racing! Woke up to a light frost Sunday morning packed the car and headed for Almonte, ON for round four of the Eastern Ontario Cyclocross series. After nationals last weekend, a light frost was a welcome. Made it out with lots of time to spare, and watch the first race of the day. They did a good job of starting to work in the course, it was still damp, so it was a bit slick. By the time the second race went the sun was warming and staring to things dry up a bit. Kelly, Dave S. and Melanie from the team were all in the first race, and seemed to fair quite well!
We had a decent group for the second start, and would begin on a fine crushed stone track, two laps and then on to the course. I was a bit unsure, as the stomach hadn't been too happy the past 12+ hours, but we'll make a go at it none-the-less. I had a great jump off the gun, and took the immediate lead around the track and onto the course. By the time we'd hit 'the hills' I was happily settled in the front three. A great course was laid out, no where really that you needed to attack, as it was rolling, some good hills, and lots of twists and turns, so it was necessary to stay on the rivet. By the end of the first lap, a couple of groups were starting to form, there were three of us off the front in the lead, with a chase group of four or five just behind, and more groups following. The three of us in the lead would stay close to each other but not really riding together (5-10 sec gaps), as we pushed on.
On the backside of the course, I was using the steeper climb to my advantage, it was a two step steep section, that led out onto a sidewalk that was also an uphill drag, it was a good spot to keep onto the two leaders, and ward off any chasers that were beginning to work up.
Mid race, my stomach started to catch up to me, and I was feeling a bit fatigued, so mentally it was a bit tougher to stay on the gas. At the same time a rider from JandJ cycles had (inadvertantly?) cut the course and decided to jump in right behind me. (This was a bit annoying as I know he was about 45-60seconds back) However, I would have to channel that into pushing onwards. Three laps to go was definitly my slowest, and with two to go, I was ready for the final 10min. I was also caught by one other rider, another wake up call to suck it up and go. On the final lap, it was all or nothing on the hill, which put me back up one spot, and bought me a couple of seconds lead by the time we hit back up on the flats. Just enough for a strong finish, and a well deserved lunch!
Fourth overall on the day, and another victory in the MA group!
Next week is another big race, Quebec Provincials in Sherbrooke. Really looking forward to this one, I hear its a good course!

No comments: