Tuesday, October 30, 2012

october recap

missing out on the usual fall weekly updates, so here goes the monthly update quick version... Cross season finally got underway earlier this month, 2012 marked the latest start to the cross season I'd had in a while, if not ever..
Unofficially kicked it off with a grueling mountain bike marathon, at the Elgin 80, a far cry from a cross race I know, but a day of offroading can't hurt... or can it? 85km of 29'er riding, the first half was great, second half notsomuch. Rough riding, wet, and a longtime lack of mtb'ing did me in nicely!
A quick trip back home before returning to Moncton for the official kick off to the Maritime 'cross season took place the second week of October. Saturday evening the race was held in Dieppe, just before sunset. A nice cool evening (~4deg) and windy, on a really nice fast grassy park course around the velodrome. Nicely got with the lead group, before dangling off to eventually finish 6th. A good result, with some really fast guys up front. Sunday didn't go so well, a few degrees warmer, but with rain in the early morning, meant a wet, and rough, more mountainbikey course. An excellent start was scuttled about 200m in after overshooting the first corner. I held my spot in the top 5, until getting held up in the technical singeltrack on the second lap, crashed on the third lap, and would eventually come in to finish an ok 8th. Not thrilled, but its early, and wasn't my course.
The following weekend Neil and I packed it up and headed to Maine, for the Downeast Cyclcross weekend in New Gloucester. We stayed in Freeport, did some shopping, discovered that Subway in the US is way better than home, and had a great weekend. The racing was a bit of a different story. The rain started about 5pmish Friday evening, and through the night. The course turned into a mudfest by Sat am, and was very humid and foggy. Temps around 12-14 were quite nice though. A midpack start didn't help me, as I was quickly near the back and chasing. I would slowly claw my way up to midfield in very tough conditions, but leaders were already riding away. Sunday would seem better, the sun was out, temps up a degree or two, course packed down and was a drier, with some nice modifications. I felt much better, but started back row. so from the gun, nowhere to go but up. I would continue to pass people all the way through to the last lap, but result would be the same as Saturday's 18th. Not happy with result, but happier with racing, feeling better is a good sign.
The return home prompted me to do some work on bike, hitting up some parks, and get some skill work done.
We would return to NB for another weekend, to finish off October. This time to the Saint John area, Darling's Island. Based on attendance, I wanted to pull in a podium, it was realistic, and would confirm that my season is going in the right direction. A great start almost turned disastrous, with a near endo after hitting a compression hole at high speed. I recovered to take the holeshot into the first technical section, and would lead out the first lap. Four of us were away on the first two laps, although we'd spit in to pairs by mid lap 2. Gaps were still 5-8 seconds, I was able to distance 4th, and stay solo and increase my third position over fourth. I was still 10-15 behind the lead two. Mid race I noticed Brian was behind me (flat tire), meaning I was now in Second. Neil was alone in the lead, and our gap solidly remained at around 10-12 for the entire second half. I wasn't quite able to muster up an attach to bridge, but Brian was gaining from behind. By the end I held him off to hold second (another lap and he'd've likely caught me). Neil rode a good win. Really happy with second, maybe should have caught up to the lead? but with a few weeks to go until nationals, it was confidence boosting weekend.
November will be interesting, lots of racing in Halifax to come, and Nationals will be in there too.
Right now a fall storm is rolling around us, with remnants of a hurricane inland heading towards Ontario, it should be a rainy week here. Its already drizzly and windy, so we'll see how it shakes out. I may have to hit the rollers.....

No comments: