Sunday, November 8, 2009

almonte v2

Today we made our second 'cross trip out to Almonte of the season for another round on the Eastern Ontario Series. Usually when we head out to Almonte, its a good time, the terrain makes for a fun course, and today did not dissapoint. On top of that, we had some of the nicest November weather I have ever seen (other than year in Florida)! It was around 15 and sunny by the time noon rolled around, and the morning low was about 7, which again for November would be a nice daytime high.
A slightly shorter course than last time, more compact as well making more spectator friendly, and fun, hardly any straights, and no recovery available meant it would require keeping it full gas for the hour.
Usual quick warmup, and view of the course, then off to the start line. Good start, as usual, two laps around the running track, and onto the course. I was able to gain good position right away, and six of us would quickly break off the front. I would dangle off the back for the first lap, as Neil, Sylvain, and Ryan were setting a blistering tempo. Doug and Osmand would drop back, Doug looked like he'd popped, and Oz had bike issues, switched bikes and rejoin me for a two man chase group. We'd spend most of the race sitting about 25-30 seconds back of the lead three.
I was quite content to just hang with Oz, knowing if I could hold his wheel, it would be a good day for me. Mid race we were putting big time into those behind us, and holding steady behind the leaders. As we neared the final two laps I was feeling I may drift off though. I could tell Marcel was beginning to gain time, and that would be motivation enough to push on and try and stay with Oz. A final lap push would keep me about 5-7 sec back, and good distance to chasers. Very tough course, but sooo much fun. Very rewarding ride, no doubt of the biggest efforts of the year, and it paid off with a first in the MA cat, and 5th overall. Huge redemption for last weekend.
This is looking like it will be a fairly nice week, so hopefully a good sign shaping up for next weekends big double, the Anvil on Sat, and Ontario Provincials on Sunday, good times for sure.
Tomorrow is looking like a nice day in the park, temps should be back up in the low-mid teens, and that's ok with me!

No comments: