Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kanata Kross

Well this past Sunday was another round of the Eastern Ontario series, a bit closer to home too, with the race out in Kanata. After another infamous late night Saturday, no chance to make up for lost sleep with the time change Sunday AM. However, nicer weather would prevail, and we were quickly off to the races. Kelly would take on the first race, and put on a pretty good showing, she's definitely quickening up as the weeks go by and the fitness returns. Leiden and I got a chance to watch the race and take pics, well she slept, but I'm sure it was still as exciting as things can get at 3 months of age.
There had been a lot of rain on Saturday, so how the course would hold up would be questionable, by the looks of the first start, everyone was relatively clean, so not much mud, and maybe should have brought the file treads...?
A quick warm-up to get things going, preview the course and finalize clothing selection before the start, would get a view of the almost nearly flat open course, one small bump midway, with some switchback turns on the way down would prove to be the only technical bit. Add lots of wind and you've got yourself a road race.
A bit of a late-show to the start line put me on the second row (good position anywhere but Ottawa area, as the front row is 30 wide....) After the start I was able to move up to the first chase group relatively easily. This was only where my downfall began. I was banking too much on strength and not racing tactically very well. The group in front was only up 10-15 seconds, so repeated attacks in an attempt to move up were only burning my legs out. The other six in our group were just jumping on and riding. Neil (who was on fire by the way) and I did most of the pulling, with occasional aid from the other five. I knew there was at least one other master in the group, so mid race I'd unsuccessfully take another shot or two at getting away. Nearing race end, things were looking to inevitably fall apart and with a lap and a half to go I blew up, and would spend a lap dangling off the back of our group, where by the end I would finish 30seconds or so behind the group, 2nd in the category.
Not terribly happy with the race, but probably not really the best 'cross course either. Would have been nice to see a bit more technical, but, that said, still not a bad day.

Monday afternoon would present more lovely weather, and a nice ride in Gatineau Park. First full loop in some time. A few other riders out enjoying the day, but still quite quiet. Now with the time change, getting rides in will be a bit more of a challenge.. I'm on my way up to dig through the closet to find the old light set, that might be crucial to maintaining fitness for the next month, 'cause we all know, there's little chance I'll be in the basement on the rollers.

No comments: