Sunday, November 14, 2010

hammer anvil

This weekend was the return of the Ride with Rendal 'cross race. Last year was the Anvil, 2010 would be a two day event; the Hammer/Anvil. The Hammer would go on Saturday, and was nearly identical to last years Anvil course, fast, grassy, but dry this year! A good start saw 4 of us ride away, John Fee, Matt Surch, Yohan Patry (jr) and myself. Simon Smith was behind but chasing. The four of us rode off, I was riding third/fourth wheel, and it felt tough to hang on. On the second lap, Matt took a tight inside line, and clipped John into the tape. I got around clean, but Matt jumped in front still and pinned it hard. Kind of a tough one, but it happens.John seemed instantly defeated, which stinks, he is riding well. Matt got away from me with Yohann, and I was stuck 5-10 seconds back in no mans land.. hmm.. this seems to be happening lots. There was lots of pressure up front, as well and Simon coming up from behind. By mid race I was able to reel Matt back in, I think he had a small slip, then kind of seemed to have slightly sat up(?). Once on his wheel, he definitely seemed to have eased off a bit seeming to maybe play tactically. The pace was good for me (weather it actually was slower or not, it seemed good!) but Simon and John were looking like they may have put a couple of seconds back into us. I was considering an attack, or at least an increase in pace, either way something had to give. On three to go, I took the lead before the "hill" a small bump we'd cross back and over a couple of times, and on a switch back, I heard Matt slip out. I couldn't tell what exactly happened, but the crowd cheered to "hammer". I guessed he'd slid out and so pushed the pace. By lap's end I'd put a gap around 10 seconds. Yohann at this point was up front, I didn't expect to catch him, and really it didn't matter, as he's in the junior category, but I pulled him back, and the two of us rode the rest of the race. With two to go, we'd put some more time into the field, and the race was looking good. We'd hit the bell lap with about 15 seconds clear to Matt and another 5 or so to Simon. It would just be a matter of keeping the pace up. Halfway 'round I let Yohann take the lead, but he was slowing over the hill, so I went back to the front as to not risk any time. He did well to tail, as we rounded into the finish. At the sprint Yohann was right there, and I have to admit, it wasn't contested on my part, as he took the honors. I was quite happy to take the MA category, and put my name on the inaugural Hammer trophy! Matt came in second, Simon rounded off the podium.

Day two was the Anvil race, a different course, some of the Hammer run backwards, with a lot of new sections too, very technical, meaning turny, and still fast. Ideal.
I was feeling good after yesterday, and was motivated to defend from last year.
Another clean start, with the usual suspects, this time adding Michel (from this season's Quebec duels). John, Matt, myself, and Michel took the lead, with Yohann mixing it in also. Matt and I got clear on the first lap, until Matt made a wrong turn, and I made the mistake of following him and not the course. We rode into the tape, and the other three caught up to us. The next lap would keep us all together. Michel would however begin to fade by the end of lap two. Lap three was again status quo, save for a lead change or two, Matt John and I were riding away from the field. On the fourth lap, Matt had a small slip up, followed very shortly by a slightly bigger slip up. I (we) got around him on the second slip, I had a small slip of my own, but was right back on, and pushed the pace instantly. I knew that I had to make a go of it, we were three to go, so it was go time. John Fee came right back, and the two of us were gone. Yohann fell of the fast pace, and turns out Matt would also roll a tire. He got it back on, and would continue, but was never able to regain. Two to go, and John and I were flying. I was feeling a bit tight, but stayed on the front. It was a course where leading was full advantage, with all the turns there was really no where to draft (despite a decent wind), and it was easier to set the line this way. I pushed a small gap on the (very slight) hill, John would reel me back in. Finally on the bell lap fireworks went off, John attacked on the only long straight to take the lead and a couple of seconds, by the time we'd hit the slight hill I was back to him, and used the hill to go back in front. I was thinking just hold on until the barriers then push the final few corners, as they were tight. The final corner came 50-75m to the finish, so it would be key to get in first. To my surprise, John attacked into the barriers regaining the lead, not what I was expecting. I held his wheel tight to the finish, hoping he'd take the final corner easy. As I'd hoped he took the final corner cautious (loose gravel by the way) I drove it full on, but just wasn't quite able to pull the bike back to the inside line, losing any chance of getting around. A hard fought and well deserved second. Disappointed to lose a sprint, but I'm more a drag racer less and accelerator, but probably more disappointed to get my name on the trophy again... Still though, a good day either way!

No comments: