Tuesday, November 2, 2010

perth

Going back a week or so to the Eastern Ontario Series debut race in Perth. I got up super early for this one, drove over to meet Bob and crew to help set course for the day's racing. It had just began raining on the drive over, and would drizzle, light showers for the whole set up time. The course layout was nice, compact, with all kinds of turning, a small hill, and a brilliant sand pit!
After course set up, I headed into the pavilion to change, and nicely warm up as it was heated! After the first race finished we got a lap or two in for warm up, and all was staring to look ok. Amazingly it didn't really rain much during the race, but everything was good and wet already. Start went well, got good position. Matt S. was pushing hard for the first lap, but coming back from illness he was having breathing problems and would fall back a bit. I hit the sand pit in decent position, about 12thish, ready to dismount for instant chaos. Came out, rounded over and hit the hill. The first half of the race was good, I was up in the ranks a bit higher from previous weeks, I started with the Ridley, it was cruising well, all was good. Mid-race I was thinking about a bike change, it was really muddy. I would actually slide out on the hill, actually slightly dislodging my front wheel enough for it to start rubbing the brake. I got up rode it out to the pit, likely losing 20-30 seconds on the lap, but a quick bike change got me back out and on my way. I made a spot or two up, and rode out the rest of the race with Rodd H. (also from Tall tree) We had a good ole time trading off the lead, chatting, and digging away. Coming into the final lap I put in a small dig and managed to dislodge Rodd, with sights up the road on another rider or two. It would come down to the final climb where I put in a good effort to sprint up the hill with a quick lunge at the line to pip one of the Cyclery riders at the line. It was a good call, as it turned out to be Kris W. also in the Master's Cat putting me at 3rd for the day (about 14th overall).
After the race, I stuck around to help with teardown, and of course the rain started up. ugh.
Next up, Quebec Provincial 'Cross champs, and series final in Quebec City!

No comments: