Thursday, November 11, 2010

nationals and revenge weekend

Last weekend the family packed it up and headed for Toronto for the National Championships. Drive went well, no issues, some rain snow mix as we left Ottawa, but clear by the time we got to Toronto.
Saturday morning we packed the car to head for race, only to find one broken bike tray on the roof rack, and an over packed Tim Horton's. So spare bike stayed at the hotel, we waited patiently in line a Timmie's, and finally made it to the race site.
We'd been to Cedarvale before, and had an idea of the course, this would be different! fast, lots of turns, and heavily abusive over in the bowl, going up and down all around for a whack of climbing!
Last years trip to Edmonton paid off, netting me a start list spot on the front row. This took a bit of load off, and put the mission square on a clean start. I had a good jump, and right off the gun was in the front four. We'd go clear after a turn or two, and put a gap into the field. By the end of lap one, the front three started to distance me, I would try and hang in a few seconds back as long as possible. One of the lead three would crash and fade back on the second lap. Near the halfway point a pair from behind would catch me, putting us in the first chase group. A 40 minute race is way harder than the full hour, its a full out with no where to ease off. The course also had no recovery points. Just after the two caught from behind, they'd soon drop me and move on. I would sit 15-20 seconds behind, now in 5th place. I could see Matt Surch, and a couple of other Ottawa guys chasing, so I tried focusing on the guys in front, and not getting caught by anyone else!
By the end I ended up 5th about 18 seconds off 4th.
The course was a bit damp over on the hills, a series of short up and downs across the bowl, a few short steep climbs, totally rideable however. One set of super fast barriers, we were easily hitting them at 30kph! And a flat section over on the top half of the course with some fast corners too.
All in all I was really happy with 5th, I was hoping for a top ten, top five, and higher placing than last year in a deeper field is wonderful!
Sunday would be the "Revenge" race, with the time change we were starting effectively and hour later. The Master B group would run simultaneously, a minute later. The course was pretty much identical, with a couple of minor changes, including a couple of small man made trenches across two of the steep hills. The course was drier, and faster! The start field was a bit smaller, but mostly same faces. Another good start put me in with the top three (yesterdays 1-2 finishers). We'd again gap the field instantly and start to run away. The lead two shook me off by the end of the first lap, setting a really strong pace. I was feeling a bit better, and just worked to keep the pace up. I would notice by the mid point of the race one chaser (yesterday's 4th place). He was sitting at about 20 seconds back for two laps. I was able to hold him there until 2 laps to go. I knew from Saturday he was stronger in the second half of the race, so I'd need to work hard for the final two laps. He would catch up to me at the bottom of one of the steep hills, the was a tight s-turn going in, so I stalled at the bottom, and gunned it up the hill, hoping to force a dismount in order to gain some time back. A "tactical" move most certainly, it did somewhat work, he stayed on the bike, but I did gain back 7-8 seconds which I held for the rest of the lap. On the final lap we'd come into the same s-turn/steep hill, I was ready to repeat the move, but he expectantly anticipated it and waited 'till I was through before entering the tight corner. At the top of the hill he was a second or two off my wheel, and would pass me after a couple of hundred meters. I was fully thinking I'd blown, but somehow managed to hold his wheel relatively well. We hit the final part of the course, the tight up and downs on the bowl, he'd go in 7-8 seconds ahead, I was trying to gain some time in hopes of a sprint. I noticed he slipped on a corner and ran up, but I'd only gain a couple of seconds. I sprinted across the bottom of the bowl, and took no prisoners on the final corner into the finishing chute. A strong sprint finished off a great race, but I'd end up 4th by 1.2 seconds. Often this might be a bit disappointing, but I was really happy with my race. I gave it all, enjoyed it, probably couldn't have pushed any harder, and fourth isn't too bad at all!!
Another great weekend, getting used to the doubles again, and for the first time, feeling stronger on the second day of racing!

Saturday after the race we'd gone up to Barrie to visit Bikeland, pick up a new tray for the roof rack (to get the spare bike the the race, and the home) then stopped at Vaughan Mills to shop, (that place is madness). Saw a few new things, lots of changes, but good to see the old shop too!!

Next weekend, the Hammer/Anvil. This was my favorite race of the year in 2009. Hoping for twice as much fun this year as its a two day! Hoping for good results, we'll see what's left in the tank!

No comments: